Did you ever feel like you need a vacation from a vacation? I do, often. And fortunately for me, this past weekend was just that. Actually, no, it was more like a vacation from the week between my vacations, which was mind-blowingly horrendous, work-wise. All I have to say is we got some unprofessional-acting bitches up in this place and I'm tired of being the referee. Thank God for small favors, all the hoo-ha ended a couple days before my latest sojourn.
Blue Eyes parentals live in Martha's Vineyard and we went to chill for a long weekend. Sally has a tough life, huh? I could write a treatise on how gorgeous the place is, how relaxing, and how I could seriously see myself living there (this is based on two summer jaunts and no winter reference points), but I'm still tired from a late Monday night specifically, and generally I've been boring myself to death. So here's the dreaded listicle:
1. I missed the Obamas by two days. Not 10 days, as I originally thought, TWO DAYS. I'm pissed. Not like I would've hung out with or even seen them, but call me nutty, I had fantasies of sitting next to them at The Black Dog and shooting the shit over chilaquiles and coffee. I would've offered to babysit the kids. I would've offered to walk the dog. Blergh.
2. Let me tell you about the size of the plane I took from Boston. Normally Sally's a pretty fearless chick - but when I spotted that 7-seater I literally gasped and held my hand to my heart.
3. At Logan during the stop-over, Blue Eyes got some Dunkin Donuts coffee. Some dude passed him in the hall and asked, apropos of where the kiosk was located, "Where's the Dunkies?" Lolz.
4. Apparently, we had 4 of Good Will Hunting's posse sitting behind us on the plane.
5. The ocean was clear as hell and I swam and swam until my little arms hurt. We saw seals about 30 feet from the shoreline, popping their heads up and checking out the beach. I got a little pink :(
6. We went early bird and hit the Grace Church lobster roll fiesta at 4:15 and there was *still* a line. Mmmm. Lobster rolls.
7. There are labradors everywhere on the island. Puppies too. I was in heaven.
8. We saw Richard Russo give a reading and a Q&A on Friday night. Fun, and stimulating!
9. There's a certain comfort-level I have with the people of MV: the ex-hippy, James Taylor-listening Uber Liberals. They remind me of an old neighbor who lived down the alley from our house when I was growing up.
10. Thanks to Blue Eyes' eagle eye, I now have the most awesome Vineyard/Obama souvenir t-shirt. You are all jealous of me.
11. I went kayaking around the lagoon which was fun, but a little stinky where we launched. The proprietor was a real character, and had a Frenchie named Betty who looks just like my dog-niece Maggie.
12. We looked at a venue for the wedding, which turned out to be not so thrilling, but cheap as fuck. Ugh. So now back to New Orleans or New York. We have to get on that soon. Anyone want to donate money to our cause? Because...
13. Then we went out to dinner at a place overlooking Menemsha harbor. Food was great and the view was stunning. *sigh*
14. Sunday came and neither of us wanted to leave. Saw Larry David in the airport. He's tall and walks like he has back problems. I was pretty meh about the sighting. Stanley Tucci would've been a lot more interesting to me.
So would have the Obamas.